Saturday, October 21, 2006

This is Eliza

Back in Kalimpong. We are staying in a GREAT hotel called the Silver Oaks until Tuesday.

Ok I'll start from last entry and work my way up to here. So remember how excited I was about pizza? One would assume that a restaurant named "Pizza Pan" would have pizza. But no. Both Phil and me got hamburgers. MISTAKE. I took one bite of mine and was like, No way in hell am I eating that. Phil ate his, though, and got food poisoning. I just had fries. Not a very good food day. We had crackers and bananas for dinner.

The food situation is vastly improving. I just try to mix whatever vegetables I get with the rice so I don't taste the rice as much. And Phil drinks my dahl. Um last night Phil did the cruelest thing. SM gave us some meat and said something I didn't understand about it. Phil had some. I tried a little and asked Phil what it was. He said he didn't know. LIES. IT WAS BUFFALO. Oh Lord I want to throw up just thinking about it. Buffalo is seriously like meat-flavored-jello. That same consistency. Disgusting. The only meat we've been offered there is buffalo and freshly slaughtered chicken. They have pigs... why can't they make some bacon?

Ok I got a ltitle off track.

Sunday: We were supposed to catch the jeep at 12. We were in the general area from 11:45-12:30 and NO JEEP. And this homeless man tried to steal from me. Anyway, Phil and I got in a bigggggg fight because we were really stressed and ended up walking all the way to the Mondochallenge office to see if they could help us get a taxi. When we went in, who was sitting there but one of the white people I mentioned in my last entry! This is ironic cause my mom asked me if they were volunteers and I said no.... but one was. Anyway, she's from the UK and a school teacher and she'd been in Nepal for 3 months before she came here. Well, Jiwan's sister was there and got us a cab.

Monday: Normal day I think. School. Cards. Reading. We're both reading Lord of the Rings. I'm half way through The Two Towers and Phil is halfway through the first one. SM has a pretty big library of books that volunteers have left.

Tuesday: Norms.

Wednesday: Phil taught me gin rummy. He truly created a monster. I only want to play gin rummy. I am OBSESSED with gin rummy. First, it was just plain old rummy. Now: gin rummy. I made up a musical about gin rummy. Sadly, we taught Babul and Pragya (SM's daguhter.... I learned her name) Go Fish and War, so they never want to play rummy anymore. Sigh.

Thursday: Since the school was under construction (repainting or something that I havn't paid attention to and I'm sure you can read Phil's entry and find out) the kids practiced drills all day. Backtrack jad;fsklas: On Nov 14 there's "Children's Day" where all the kids from 3 different schools are gettign together and competing in races and dancing and things. It's really fun. One of the things they have to practice is drills. They stand in two lines and there's a leader and he yells stuff in Nepali and they all chant "Left, right, left.... left, right left" and march around the field. It's sooooooooo cute. Babul is so horrible at it. All the little kids really don't get it. It's so fun to watch. Half day for us and we went home at noon. We went for a pretty uneventful walk. When we came back, Sunita (SM's wife) was gone and we were locked out of the house! Dun dun dun... Scar kept harassing us. Luckily, Phil was able to reach in the window and grab from our room: cards, ipods, Sprites, and crackers. Actually not so good cause anyone could have grabbed our stuff. We sat on a big rock in their yard (which I aptly dubbed Pride Rock.... and Scar owns everything the light touches... everything except the Shadowlands which is wehre the chickens live) and listened to Dane Cook and played gin rummmayyyyy. Oh, this was also the day we met 4 British trekkers (one of which is a volunteer in Bar Number I think). Two very attractive British boys.

Speaking of chickens: I hate them. They are SO ANNOYING. I think I say that in every entry though.

Friday: We didn't go in til 10:30. Sweeeeeet. Watched more drills and races. At night we watched TV with.... I don't even know who. There are always a lot of random people at the house. A lot. Always. Anyway, SM's other daughter (home from boarding school for Diwali) was flipping through the channels and Monk was on and she just went right by and it was sad. We watched this show called Soldier, though, whcih was quite hilarious. I'm looking forward to a TV packed weekend.

Today: Phil locked me "accidentally" in a room. Harumph.

Well, more tomorrow I'm sure. I doubt much will happen in between now and then though.

Pasta pasta I want pasta....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eliza, Tucker here. I had the best day of my life yesterday for the 350th day in a row! I chewed up Kamala's shoe, chased Sam around the house, and made a big mess in the basement (hee, hee, wait till they find that one!). Anyway, got to go -- I'm not supposed to use the computer.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-So do the children cry when they are struck at school? And what is the house like where you are staying? How many rooms? What's the kitchen like?

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home