Monday, December 04, 2006

This will only concern one person

Last night we had delicious dinner at supposedly the best Tibetan restaurant in town (which I don't doubt). I had wan ton soup, spring rolls and apple juice. The apple juice was soooooo good, like drinking apple sauce. Phil had a coffee milkshake which tasted like a frappuccino. Ruth, Matt, and Jessica all got soup as well. Afterwards we played Monopoly for a little and I'm sure I would have won if it hadn't been cut short because it was late (I'm kidding.... I was the banker).

Today we came back to Kalim-town as SM would say. My legs are soo sore from walking and then sitting in a jeep for ages. We got to see the mountains again though.

Ohhh two funny things:

1. We are sitting in the jeep in Darjeeling, waiting for it to leave, when I hear a chicken clucking and I'm like, "Why is there a chicken outside in this very congested area?" I look behind me and it's sitting in the back seat of the jeep.

2. I retract all statements about wanting a pet monkey. Last night we left the hotel at about 5:30 to meet the others. To get to the main square from our hotel you need to walk down this very narrow street. In the distance on this street I see what I think is 2 dogs fighting. I look a bit closer and think, "Hm, those dogs have awfully long, flexible limbs." It was monkeys! Then I thought, "Oh cute, monkeys." But then I looked around. Literally hundreds of monkeys were lining this road on the fence and the trees. They kept screeching and jumping about. I told Phil not to make any sudden movements and walk fast fast fast (because I'm an expert on these things obviously) and we made it out alive. Later we walked back and there were fewer monkeys, thankfully.

Well, it's good to be home in dear old Kalimpong. Much warmer, but not as beautiful. I suppose if I had to choose in retrospect, I would have chosen to volunteer more in the Darjeeling area, despite the temperature. There's just more to do and see. Not that I don't have a soft spot for Kalimpong.

We only have a few days of teaching left! I wonder how the kids are doing on our exams. They took forever to type in, and another lifetime to fill in all the clocks for Class I. After this, I don't know what we'll teach in so short a time.

More tomorrow perhaps, if something interesting happens like a Babu attack.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys
We are all feeling badly that you got such a negative comment!

Also, we are all pretty sad that you are not bringing a monkey home, especially Tucker. They were going to be BFFs! The monkey could eat the dog food, and then Tuckerr would just have to eat people food. Oh well, maybe you should bring a chicken instead-the one from the back seat would be good as she is already accustomed to travel.
Love,
Mom

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home