Friday, November 17, 2006

Here a day early

Well, we are here a day early to meet the other volunteers for dinner.

Children's day went really well. It was a bit long at the end. Phil and SM won tug of war. The lunch was actually kind of decent. Jessica and Ruth were brave and danced.

That night we ended up staying at Ruth's school in her massive room because it was too dark to walk back. We had an amazing dinner. Something tells me Sunita's food is not so good relative to what the other volunteers are eating. I even had a decent amount of rice. Also stay at MB's (Ruth's headmaster/Jiwan's brother) were 4 trekkers with VDT (Village Discovery Tour). 2 were from the Netherlands and 2 were from Scotland. They were nice. A bit of an awkward conversation between the Dutch guy and Phil about America. I think it went like this...

Dutch guy: I think in a few decades, China and Japan will be the biggest world powers.
Phil: Actually I don't think so because-
Dutch guy: You wouldn't.

And some conversation about Hilary Clinton which I'm sure ended badly but I've blocked out.

Anywayyyyy... we found out there are 10 children in Jiwan's family (14 originally but 4 died). His 2 eldest sisters took care of them when their parents died a long time ago and they never got married. They made dinner for us and they were so nice.

Wednesday we had no school and we walked back home around 8:30 in the mroning. The walk is realllllllllllly nice.

Yesterday we had school and we both felt kind of unmotivated. Class I had a quiz on time which they did pretty poorly on in general. Phil taught Class III while I made a spelling list and a chart of ruppees to dollars conversions because I was really bored. Class II drawing was slightly hilarious. We made them draw pictures of a man ringing a gong (again) and then they each had to sing this song I made up about a man ringing a gong. Then we went on a field trip to see the man ringing a gong. Oh and we played the quiet game (first one to talk loses). Class III painting was norms. Class I spelling we read a book and gave them spelling words and that was it.

SM has oranges now.

Pragya wrote some note to Bivek (the cutest boy in the school, I would say) saying that he is "fine" and he "looks like a girl." This is really good because I want them to get married. They're like best friends. Phil saw the note, I did not. Very sad.

Well, that's all for now. The food will be gooooooooooood today. They love us at Silver Oaks. I am their Eloise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

China and Japan? Was he Dutch or French? Even an inbred cocker spaniel knows about their self-destructive demographics -- too many people on the one hand, too few on the other, and they both hate immigrants. Not exactly prescriptions for overtaking the US.

High Five!
Tucker

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to hear the lyrics of the Gong Song. How does Phil feel about Barak Obama?
Love,
Mom

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home